Whatever kind of personal insurance you need, our experts can offer you impartial advice and competitive quotations from a huge range of leading insurers. Your home, your car and your holidays are all important to you which is why it’s essential to make sure they’re covered with a policy you can trust.

Below are just a few types of personal insurance lines we can help with:

Car Insurance

Getting the ideal car insurance can seem like a daunting task with hundreds of companies all competing with each other claiming they can offer you the best deal. Legally, everyone is required to have at least a basic level of car insurance. This basic level of cover is known as third party insurance which means if you injure someone or damage their property they are covered. However, if your own car is damaged or stolen you will have to pay for the repair or loss yourself. The next level of insurance is third party, fire and theft which is similar but does cover repairs or replacement if your car is stolen or damaged by fire.

The highest level of cover is known as fully comprehensive insurance which is the only type of insurance that covers you if you damage your own car, even if the accident was your fault. You can claim for repairs after an accident, any accidental damage and vandalism such as someone deliberately scratching your car. You may also be able to legally drive other people’s cars if you have their permission although you’ll usually only have third party cover.

This is just a brief overview and there are many other things to consider such as your no claims bonus, exactly what each policy covers and the insurance excess. It’s also important to remember third party cover isn’t necessarily always the cheapest, as you can sometimes get more cover for less money. To save you the hassle, we can search through hundreds of providers based on your personal circumstances and find you the perfect car insurance deal.

Home Insurance

It is very likely your home is the most expensive thing you own so it’s vital you choose the right insurance should something go wrong. Unfortunately, every house is vulnerable in some respect so buildings insurance is a must for all homeowners. This covers the actual structure of your home including the walls, roof and windows as well as any permanent fixtures such as fitted kitchens or bathroom suites. Nearly all policies insure your home in case of fires, storms, flooding, subsidence, burst pipes, theft and fallen trees although it’s well worth double checking all the details. You can also choose to take out extra cover too, such as accidental damage or legal expenses. Building insurance is compulsory when you have a mortgage on your home an all mortgage lenders will insist you have adequate cover. How much cover you need depends on a variety of factors, but the general rule of thumb is enough to cover the rebuild cost of your home should the worst happen.

The second type of home insurance is contents cover which protects everything else inside your house. Many people are surprised at just how much their contents are actually worth, with the average family of four owning over £50,000 worth of items. It’s important to get this figure right and the best way to make sure you have adequate cover is to do a full inventory of all your possessions including jewellery, electronics, clothes, furniture, carpets and even the contents of your shed. Many policies also have a single item limit so if you have anything of particular value make sure you take this into consideration. Most contents insurance will work on a “new for old” basis where if your television is damaged by fire, they’ll simply replace it with a new one. Some however, will offer indemnity policies which are usually cheaper but will take wear and tear into account meaning if your TV is 10 years old, you will only be paid out its current value.

Travel Insurance

Choosing the right travel insurance can be a real minefield with a huge range of things to consider when investing in cover. The importance of travel insurance is often overlooked but it’s a vital part of holiday planning as there’s simply no way of knowing when something could go wrong. Cover doesn’t just include any unexpected medical costs when abroad, but also covers you in case you need to cancel your holiday or if the airline you were planning to travel with goes bust. Nobody likes to think of these things when planning a holiday but the right insurance can save you tens of thousands of pounds should anything happen to go wrong.

Although it varies from policy to policy, basic cover should include the following:

Medical Cover – If you are unfortunate enough to have an accident or be taken ill while abroad, medical bills can end up costing you a fortune. Because of this, many experts recommend £2m of medical cover when travelling which should also include repatriation in case you need to be flown back home.

Personal Liability – This covers you in case you accidentally injure someone or damage their property. It’s generally a good idea to have personal liability cover up to £1m.

Emergency Assistance – A lot of companies now offer a 24/7 emergency helpline which can be vital if you are in a different time zone.

Cancellation – If, for whatever reason, you need to cancel or cut short your holiday, the recommended limit is £3000 or the total cost of your holiday.

Baggage & Belongings – Basic cover should pay out up to £1500 if your luggage or belongings are lost, stolen or damaged while on holiday. More expensive items such as cameras and laptops can be subject to limited pay-outs so be sure to take out extra cover if you’re planning on taking something particularly valuable away with you.

Delay – Flight delays are not all that uncommon and it’s well worth getting cover for this as you will be compensated if the delay is longer than 12 hours. To make your claim easier, ask your airline to confirm the delay in writing and keep hold of any receipts of things you have had to purchase because of the delay.

Pre-existing medical conditions - If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, even something like asthma, you may need to take out a specialist policy as this is unlikely to be covered under basic policies. However, our team specialise in finding the best travel insurance deals whatever your personal circumstances, so feel free to pop in for a chat to discuss all the available options in more detail.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION regarding pre-existing medical conditions - If you are unable to obtain travel insurance for this reason then please contact The Money Advice Service - Medical Cover Firm Directory Where customers are unable to access the website link they can call MoneyHelper’s free helpline number 0800 138 7777.

Breakdown Insurance

In addition to your car insurance, you may want to consider breakdown cover should you need any roadside assistance. Various firms call their services by different names but they essentially boil down to five different levels of cover to choose from.

Roadside – This is the most basic plan where a patrol will come and try to fix your vehicle at the side of the road or tow it to the nearest garage if an immediate repair isn’t possible.

National Cover – Very similar to roadside but with the added benefit of transporting you, your vehicle and passengers to a destination of your choice.

Home Start – With a home start contract, a patrol can be sent to your home to make any repairs. Without this, many policies will not tend to your vehicle unless it has broken down a certain distance from your home.

Onward Travel Cover - This is the most complete level of domestic breakdown insurance available and covers the cost of any unexpected accommodation and car hire.

European Cover - If you’re planning on driving your car on the continent, you can add European cover to you policy for a full year or a single trip.

In addition to these levels of cover, you have a choice of insuring either yourself or a particular vehicle. Personal cover means you will receive whatever level of insurance you have chosen no matter what car you’re in, even as a passenger. With vehicle cover, a specific vehicle is insured whoever the driver is.

Above are just some of the types of personal insurance we can help you with and nobody else in County Durham offers a more comprehensive service.

To arrange a meeting with us or find out more about personal insurance, please feel free to get in touch with us for more information.